Our Corporate Advisory team has extensive experience in providing advice across all aspects of corporate and commercial law to public and private companies, private equity funds, financial institutions, SMEs, start-ups and insolvency administrators. A large number of our clients are ASX listed companies who operate in a broad range of sectors including technology, mining and resources, financial services, agribusiness and aviation.
We advise our clients on:
- mergers and acquisitions, restructures and divestments;
- capital raisings, placements, IPOs and backdoor listings;
- debt financing and project finance;
- takeovers, schemes of arrangement and Takeovers Panel proceedings;
- joint ventures and partnerships;
- commercial agreements, including supply, service and distribution contracts;
- incentive plans; and
- corporate governance and regulatory advice, including Corporations Act and ASX Listing Rule issues.
Our team combines a wealth of experience across the corporate sector, and brings to the table a very commercial approach and an easy to deal with attitude. Our partners are recognised for their experience and expertise in the corporate space, and have been involved in a number of significant and strategic transactions.
This includes acting for:
- Pacific Restaurant Group (PRG) in relation to the off-market takeover bid by Keystone (Australia) Pty Limited (Keystone) for the acquisition of 100% of the shares in PRG. The offer was announced by Keystone on 10 July 2014, and closed on 11 August 2014. PRG is a national full-service restaurant business and operates the Kingsley's restaurants in Sydney and Brisbane, the Chophouse Restaurant in Sydney and has the Australian and New Zealand master franchise for Jamie's Italian restaurants, in partnership with Jamie Oliver International.
- BB Retail Capital on its re-acquisition of the remaining 50% shareholding in lingerie retailer Bras N Things from co-investors ANZ and IMF Investors, and associated shareholders' arrangements;
- Kimberly Diamonds Ltd on its acquisition of the Ellendale Diamond Mine, the most significant producer of fancy yellow diamonds in the world and subsequent acquisitions of Mantle Diamonds and the Argyle Smoke Creek Project;
- PrimeAg Australia Limited on its IPO to raise $300 million and its scheme of arrangement under which Australian Food & Fibre acquired all ordinary shares in PrimeAg and associated asset sales;
- Australian Rugby League Commission in the restructure and reconstitution of the ARL to establish the ARL Commission and NRL as a controlled entity;
- Virgin Australia Holdings Limited in relation to the separation of its international and domestic airline operations. The separation was effected by a dividend demerger, and had the effect of lifting the 49% foreign ownership restriction on Virgin;
- Mitsubishi Development in relation to its joint bid (with Rio Tinto) for Coal & Allied Limited, effected by scheme or arrangement. The transaction valued Coal & Allied at approximately $10 billion and was the first joint bid in Australia effected by shareholder approval (rather that the usual ASIC joint bid relief); and
- numerous listed companies in various industries in relation to fundraisings, rights issues and backdoor listings on the ASX.
Our Corporate Advisory team has a broad range of experience in a number of sectors, including:
- Consumer & Retail
- Energy, Resources & Projects (including Mining, Oil & Gas, Infrastructure, Transport, Project Finance and Energy and Utilities)
- Banking & Finance (including Market Regulation, Banking, Insurance, Capital Markets, Restructuring and Insolvency)
- Health & Aged Care
- Real Estate, Construction and Infrastructure
- Telecommunications, Media, Entertainment and Technology
- Financial Services